- Old Guard Versus New Guard- see the links to helpful pages at the bottom of this page
- Competency 1: Analyze police-community relations issues from an ethics perspective.
- Competency 2: Differentiate criminal justice social control concepts.
- Competency 3: Articulate effects of professional development on police-community relations.
- Competency 4: Explore the use of police discretion in complex criminal justice issues.
- Competency 5: Communicate effectively with diverse populations.
- Describe two discretionary measures today’s changing officer may take into account when handling these events compared to officers in the past.
- Articulate the ethical perspectives that today’s officer must consider.
- Identify the role social media plays in these events compared to many years ago.
- Explain how these events affect police-community relations.
- Predict how you see the police handling these events 20 years from now.
- Written communication: Must be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- Resources and citations: Format according to current APA style and formatting guidelines.
- Length of paper: 3–4 typed, double-spaced pages, not including the title page or the references page.
- References: A minimum of three references. (If you create a hypothetical case, references will not be necessary.)
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
- Access Turnitin through the link in the courseroom.
- Submit your assignment using the draft folder.
- Review the returned report and make changes as needed. (You may ignore any template matches.)
- Resubmit your updated assignment using the appropriate folder.
- Click on the linked assignment heading.
- Attach your file.
- Click submit.
- You will know your submission was successful by viewing the Submitted section of the My Grades area.
- Old Guard Versus New Guard Scoring Guide.
- APA Style and Format.
- Capella Writing Center.
- Community of Excellence.
- Criminal Justice Undergraduate Research Guide.
- Smarthinking Tutoring.
- Submit an Assignment [PDF].
- Writing Feedback Tool.
- APA Template.
Competencies Addressed in This Assignment
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
Policing is not the same as it was when the first modern police forces were established in the United States. The period from 1830s to 1900 is often referred to as the political era of policing. There were little or no police officer standards. Officers were often hired based upon some sort of political affiliation. Beginning in about 1900, the professional era of policing began. Technology and an organized movement calling for the police to become more professional are what spurred this era. Even though police were in the midst of this professional movement, many conflicts between the police and minority groups took place. Police agencies resisted hiring African-American officers, and when they were hired, the agencies tended to assign them to black communities. Today, we see community policing at the forefront of policing in the United States. Although there are still clashes between the police and minority groups, the typical American police officer is changing from what once was a white male with a high-school education. Today’s officer has more education and women have entered into police work in large numbers. Technology and officer training have also changed greatly since the inception of the first American police officer (Walker & Katz, 2013).
In your studies, you have viewed three videos from NBC Learn—Baltimore on Edge As Police, Rioters Clash; Tom Brokaw: “50 Years Later Watts Remains Separate and Unequal”; Columbia Riots and Mark Rudd. As you watch these videos, pay particular attention to the police response. Also, pay attention to any statements made by police officials. In the case of Tom Brokaw: 50 Years Later, you can see the devastating effects these events can have on communities for many years. A term going around police work is tactical pause. Basically, this means instead of rushing right in to an event, the police response is slowed down to give time for results to develop other than deadly force. In many police events, a quick police response and actually rushing right in right away can lead to the police having to deploy deadly force. Even in the event of riots, this tactic may work. Instead of rushing right in, community resources and persons may be able to assist the police in decreasing the amount of force the police ultimately have to use.
For this assignment:
Refer to the Old Guard Versus New Guard Scoring Guide to ensure you meet all evaluation criteria.
Your paper should meet the following requirements:
You are required to submit your paper to Turnitin. Once you review your results and make any needed changes, submit your paper for grading.
How to Submit Your Assignment
This is a two-step process.
Turnitin: All assignments must be submitted to Turnitin.
Submit Your Assignment for Grading: See Submit an Assignment (linked in the resources) for more information.
Note: Your instructor may also use the Writing Feedback Tool to provide feedback on your writing. In the tool, click the linked resources for helpful writing information.
Walker, S., & Katz, C. M. (2013). The police in America: An introduction (8th ed.). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.