In Unit 8, we will focus our study on the secession of the South from the Union and the events of the Civil War. This will include the causes of the war, which spanned greater than the issue of slavery. As a nation divided, each side presented different strengths and weaknesses. Through our learning of the Union and Confederacy, major battles, and turning points of the Civil War, we will see the results of a nation that fought against itself.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
- Identify the reasons for the South’s secession from the United States and its decision to establish the Confederate States of America
- Compare the strengths and weaknesses between the Union (North) and Confederacy (South) at the outbreak of the Civil War
- Describe the major events of the Civil War and identify the turning points that will lead to the surrendering of the Confederacy
- Read, view/review Unit Readings & Resources
- Actively participate in Unit Discussion(s)
- Submit Final Research assignment
- Complete student survey
Readings and Resources
Ebook:OpenStax College, U.S. History. OpenStax College. 23 December 2014. (Download for free at http://cnx.org/content/col11740/latest/)
Primary Source Documents:
- Lesh, B. A., & Finkelman, P. (2008). Milestone Documents in American History: Exploring the Primary Sources That Shaped America. Dallas, TX: Schlager Group.
- South Carolina Declaration of Causes of Secession (pages 753-762) – Overview and documented text
- Jefferson Davis’ Inaugural Address to the Confederacy (pages 765-776) – Overview and documented text
- Abraham Lincoln’s First Inaugural Address (pages 777-790) – Overview and documented text
- Emancipation Proclamation (pages 815-826) – Overview and documented text
- Gettysbury Address (pages 837-846) – Overview and documented text
- Farewell Address to Senate – Jefferson Davis
| Watch Video The Civil War: The Gettysburg Address Duration: (5:54)
User: kenburnspbs – Added: 8/2/12 YouTube URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCXUbQ4JjXI
| Watch Video American Civil War Timeline 1861-1865 Duration: (7:26)
User: storiesofusa – Added: 8/12/10 YouTube URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gfl6rHFUuQ
| Watch Video Civil War Veterans on Film Duration: (3:29)
User: insidekearnycastle – Added: 6/29/11 YouTube URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeLGasX8FHk
| Watch Video The Civil War: The Cause Duration: (3:39)
User: kenburnspbs – Added: 8/2/12 YouTube URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN2huQB-DmE
Supplementary Materials:In your online text titled, “History in the Making: A History of the People of the United States of America to 1877,” read the following:
- Chapter 16: The Civil War (pages 701-779)
- What makes the Confederates different from the American colonists?
- What makes the Union different from England?
- Why were the American colonists considered Patriots while the Confederates were considered rebels?
When responding to classmates, include additional information for why you agree with their position or information explaining why you do not agree with their position.Make sure to provide cited information to support your positions. All work must be in APA format.