You are chief of staff to your brother-in-law, Representative Howard Hughes, who was recently elected to fill out a term in Congress.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
He has been asked to participate in a panel discussion on the Medicare funding crisis. You have been asked to prepare a paper for him. The panel is asked to respond to a proposal for reducing Medicare expenditures by adding Part X to the current Part A – Hospital coverage, Part B – Outpatient coverage, Part C – Managed care, and Part D – Prescription drug coverage. What would Medicare Part X contain?
The following key questions must be addressed in the paper.
- Define the coverage element(s) for the proposed Medicare Part X.
- Provide detailed explanations of costs and benefits and related economic principles to support the proposed Medicare Part X.
- Identify how the proposed Medicare Part X will be funded.
- Include a section entitled “Contingency Planning” on how your Medicare Part X recommendation(s) would or would not change if a new federal law was passed that required all individuals over age 65 to purchase long-term care insurance for assisted-living and nursing home (i.e., skilled nursing facility) services. Be sure to include rationale and justification.
A quality case analysis will include a cover page and proper citations and references. Paper Format: Word document in APA or MLA format, double spaced.
The following key questions must be addressed.
- Is Medicare in a state of crisis?
- Are radical measures necessary to preserve the program?
- How is Medicare funded now?
- Why do older adults feel that Medicare is an insurance program and not a welfare program?
- Is this perception accurate?
- Should there be a Medicare program at all?
- Why should the government be involved in providing insurance to older adults?
- Does Medicare have detrimental effects on the market for healthcare or on the market for health insurance?
- Are these economic effects offset by the positive effects of the Medicare program for older adults?
- What about the positive effects of caring for older adults for society?
- Are there any externalities here?
The memo will be properly subdivided into the above required headings and subheadings (bold and in caps). – Problem Identification – Situation Analysis – Solution Remember, the goal is not to find the solution but rather to examine the case and practice analyzing and solving real-world problems from a healthcare management perspective.